The list of bestselling novels of 1916 contains names of authors still highly regarded today, as well as names of some scarcely remembered authors who were as well known in their day as J. K. Rowling and Tom Clancy in ours.
In a departure from my routine, since some folks may be looking for a novel to read on their mobile devices while traveling this summer, I’m going to link the titles to the Project Gutenberg pages where the novels can be downloaded and read for free.
- Seventeen by Booth Tarkington [July 23, 2016]
- When A Man’s a Man by Harold Bell Wright [July 26, 2016]
- Just David by Eleanor H. Porter [July 30, 2016]
- Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells [Aug. 2, 2016]
- Life and Gabriella: The Story of a Woman’s Courage by Ellen Glasgow [Aug. 6, 2016]
- The Real Adventure by Henry Kitchell Webster [Aug. 9, 2016]
- Bars of Iron by Ethel J. Dell [Aug. 13, 2016]
- Nan of Music Mountain by Frank H. Spearman [Aug. 16, 2016]
- Dear Enemy by Jean Webster [Aug. 20, 2016]
- The Heart of Rachael by Kathleen Thompson Norris [Aug. 23, 2016]
A poll of your favorites of the 1916 bestselling novels will be posted Aug. 27 and I’ll wrap up my picks of the list Aug. 30.